Thursday, September 10, 2015

I forgot to post something on Wednesday

In 4th grade, I attended a multi-national school run for the children of various NATO service members. My best friend was a Welsh boy named Ian, and one day he came up to me and said the most garbled, mush-mouthed thing ever.

Then he told me it was the name of a village in Wales, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. I thought he was pulling my leg and just saying gibberish, but he kept saying it the same again and again.

It properly means "Saint Mary's church in the hollow of the White Hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of Saint Tysilio of the red cave."

Would you like to hear it pronounced?  Of course you would. Here is a weatherman in the UK pronouncing it, smooth as silk:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.